Pages

Friday 18 October 2013

REFLECTION 2

REFLECTION (2)

Written by: Melanie Liang (Psychology, Year 2)
It's been 2 weeks since I've been a part of this team and I'm rather thankful that everyone is really nice, friendly and open to one another. I feel a really good vibe. I like the fact that we started off sharing our weekend instead of just diving into discussion about the trip, because it helps to build friendships, more than a work relationship. Honestly I am rather nervous because it takes time for me to open up to people, and I am afraid that I can't click with most people in this team because over the years I've realised that there are only a few people who can truly understand me see things from my point of view. (And I realised many people are from USP and already know each other, which makes me feel even more nervous) But I really do want to feel comfortable in this team so I guess I'll have to learn to trust and open up to everyone! What I hope for the group dynamics of this team is for everyone to be open to each other and frank with one another with minimal judging so that we can truly build strong friendships. 

As for the discussion about the trip, it was rather chill, probably because it was only week 2 (: But it got really confusing with the whole setting of objectives and goals thing, probably because we had different definitions of learning and personal growth, but I'm glad we sorted that out together as a team. I honestly still think that personal growth is something subjective and something that we can only discover on our own! One of the worries I have about future discussions is that we will have more disagreements and it might make the planning less efficient if everyone keeps sticking to their own views? I am generally someone who is very open to other opinions and perspectives, and I hope everyone would be as well. Disagreements would probably occur more often during the later course of this planning but as long as we get together as one team at the end of the day, it's fine and we'll all move forward together. As for my own perspective of personal growth, I must say it's really just to learn how to look beyond myself, see the happenings of a place outside of my comfort zone, and to learn something that I can never learn while I'm studying. And knowing that I am doing a part in making the lives of the Cambodians better (no matter how small my role is) is a form of emotional growth for me. So that really sums up how excited I am for this trip and how ready my heart is!

I think our team consists of people of different lifestyles, character and perceptions, which is a good thing because we can learn from each other and contribute in so many different ways. I'm really looking forward to what we can achieve as a group and I hope everyone can achieve their own personal growth at the end of everything. And of course I hope we can provide real meaningful and sustainable help to the Cambodians. :D

Good job to week 2, cheers to more weeks ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment